Country Music Fun & Festivities
Thousands of country Music fans and performers from throughout Australia and overseas flock to historic Charters Towers, in North Queensland, every May Day long weekend for three days of country fun and festivities.
The occasion is the McDonald's Charters Towers Country Music festival, first held in 1978, which has grown to become Australia's largest country music talent quest with some 800 contestants making their bid for fame each year.
The festival also attracts
• some of the biggest names in the country music industry who are showcased in special cabarets on Friday and Saturday nights.
• as well as huge audiences who travel to Charters Towers to enjoy
• the entertainment by professional and amateurs
• the warm country hospitality and
• an opportunity to step back in time to the gold rush era in Outback Australia's best preserved heritage city.
The Charters Towers Country Music Festival provides a once -a-year chance to sample some unique Australian culture and learn something of the country's rich mining and agricultural heritage in a setting that is like none other in the world.